Thursday, April 22, 2010

Time Zone Hopping is a Killer

So Yes we are alive over here.....awake is a whole other story. It's now Thursday about noon here in China so we've had 2 full days here. We spent Tuesday sleeping in and then had a late breakfast. Xan and I slept for quite a while that afternoon and then we headed out to the local wal mar? for some sight seeing and just to get out a bit. We had dinner at burger king and it was familiar so that was nice. The 4 story shopping mall that contained both of those places also had a hair salon and Stan was in desperate need of a haircut so we stopped in and had that experience. He got a really good haircut but it was a bit different. The guy washed his hair with a bottle and no sink and then gave him a very precise scissor cut followed by another wash and style. Let's just say that Stan was not a natural for the blow dry forward look that the salon stylists were all so fond of. :) That night we had a little trouble sleeping and Xan and I were up till about 4am. We did get about 3 hours that night and then up for breakfast again here at the hotel on Wednesday.

Stan had taken Tues off and so he went back to work on Wed. He asked Xan and I to come to the club to meet him for lunch and to get to see it. We ventured out all by ourselves and thanks to English speaking hotel concierge desk we were able to get there and back with no problem. The club is very nice and I'll dedicate a separate post to that very soon. We made the mistake of taking a long afternoon nap and therefore were awake for a good part of last night as well. Today we are going to try and stay awake at least until the early evening and then go to bed at a decent hour. Hopefully we can get our bodies back on schedule. We went this morning to have some passport photos made for the club to work on our visas and then to get me a cell phone. That was an adventure but Carol, Stan's assistant, was a life saver. She did all the talking and just asked us the pertinent questions and we nodded our heads and then signed the papers. I could have just purchased a car for all I know. This afternoon we are going to meet up with another expat wife here that Stan met last week -she volunteered at the golf tournament at his place. I'm going to do my best to keep us awake until bedtime.

I'm still having trouble with uploading photos so please forgive me. I promise I'll get them out here as soon I can get it all figured out.

3 comments:

Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Jenny said...

Hello Megan! I hope you and Xan get some sleep tonight! Thanks so much for keeping us posted. This is just a thought, but I remember reading somewhere that you cannot post to your blogspot blog from China when we were getting ready to travel. That is why so many people use websites like "myadoptionwebsite", which is what we also used while traveling to bring Mia home. One of my friends also told me a story of a family who could not post to their blog during their time in China. Perhaps they could post text, but not photos? I'm not sure. It might be worth looking into... Let me know if I can help you at all. It would be interesting to see if somebody from th US would be able to have more luck. I know how important it was for me to stay connected with family & friends through my blog while we were overseas, so I'm happy to help you if you want.

April 22, 2010 4:13 PM